MAP OF BRITISH COLUMBIA
: Search for any location on this map, most of the camping areas I will discuss are on here.
Places I've been and wanted to stay forever
Camping has always held a certain lure for me, ever sicne I was a small child. Just the smell of thick cedar trees, or the feel of forest floor under my bare feet has brought a smile to my lips. I believe that camping is just you and the wilderness, not packed away in an RV, with a TV and heater. That may be fine for some, but I am not camping unless I have my tent set up on a dirt clearing.
I haven't been many places, but of the places I've been I remember soley for the solitude and beauty of it all.
The above picture is taken at
, off of Highway 20 in BC. It is a forestry campsite, meaning it is free to camp at, as long as it is kept as nice as it was when you found it. The sites here are not exceptional, very dry sand, with hardly any shade, but when the sun sets on the clear waves of Tatla Lake, the day's sweltering heat seems to fade away. Tatla Lake is swimmable, and there are many hiking trails around to explore.
This next picture is taken at one of Canada's most photographed lakes,
. There is a Provincial campground at the bottom of Tullin Mountain (pictured here) called T'y'Los Provincial Park. It is inexpensive and beautiful, with the green waters of Chilko on one side of the sites, and the thickness of forest on the other. There are many hiking trails available, ranging from a brisk walk along the water to a 6 hour day hike up Tullin Mountain.
Right next to the Provincial Park is also Chilko Lake Resort, a log cabin lodge and smaller cabins are available.
Here in Osoyoos, Canada's only desert, summers are very hot. That is why the two adjoining lakes are so refreshing, and water sports are encouraged. Every summer I go here with my friend, Leanne, and take in the solitude of Osoyoos living. It is right on the border of Washington State, and there are many things to do to bide your time. With the record breaking heat that Osoyoos is famous for, it's
no wonder that jet-skiing and water-skiing are very popular. And Osoyoos is also host to a bananna plantitarium, as well as world class fresh fruit.
In the heart of BC's interior lies the Shuswap Lake. I've been to a few places around there, but my most enjoyable was at Cedar Creek Campground. This campground offers secluded sites, yet flush toilets, and it's all just a quick walk down a sawdust path to the lake. There are hiking trails everywhere, and one that leads to some cliffs perfect for jumping. The heights range from 12 feet to 60 feet, and are very safe, if you call jumping off of cliffs safe:-).
Hornby Island is somewhere that I haven't been, but my parents have, and the pictures they brought back were amazing. Hornby Island is off the shores of Vancouver Island, and only reachable by ferry. One day I will get there!
Eagle Lake is another beautiful camping spot, situated on the way out to Bella Coola. The water is always a tropical green and the Coastal Mountains always have snowy peaks. There is a Lodge for those who like to stay indoors, and also a variety of camping spots around the lake. Tatla Lake is close by if any supplies are needed, and there are many things to do, such as hiking, canoeing, or even driving up to one of the other lakes that are close by to take in some more sites.
B.C. CAMPING LINKS
- Dale and Cindy Wilkins Homepage
- Pictures and reviews of the Monterey & Bay Area, Queen Charlotte Islands, Bella Coola, and Victoria.
- Let's Go Camping
- Camping trips on Vancouver Island planned out for you exclusively by this business. For those who like to travel but don't know what there is to see or do!
- Camping & Backpacking on Vancouver Island
- Campgrounds, Back-Country trails, Caving and Climbing...
- Explore BC Parks
- Find out about Provincial parks in BC. Search by loation or name...
- The Outdoor Adventure, Up Mountain Goat Trail
- Serious Hikers : Okanagan, B.C, this trail is a massive 3-4 hour hike, not accessible by horse or mountain bike.
- Kelowna, British Columbia
- Find out all you need to know about this town...camping spots, adventure areas etc...
- North Shuswap Resort Area
- Camping, Rafting,Fishing, Dancing, it's all here!
- Cabins and Cottages - British Columbia On-Line Highways
- Over 50 different places to stay, situated around BC.
- Hornby Island Rentals
- Hornby Island Kayak Rentals, find out about the Island, and all the cool things to see.
people have hiked through the internet to this page
This is a little awkward, but if you want to sign my guestbook, please go to this page to do it.... I want to know who you are!!!
Burnaby, B.C. V5G 4J3